CAUDIT Spring Members Meeting Wrap-up
CAUDIT Member Representatives and their guests spent two days engaging in presentations and discussions relating to a number of new sector initiatives, cybersecurity and CAUDIT activities during the 2019 Spring Members Meeting held onsite at the University of Technology, Sydney campus from 1st to 2nd October 2019.
Day One of the meeting provided opportunities for updates on procurement activities and results from the 2019 Benchmarking collection as well as presentations and case studies on (but not limited to):
- Fostering Collaboration Among Large Complex Communities – Martin Talvari, Founder & CEO of Myriad
- Excellence in Governance – Maggie McKelvery, Senior Account Managers Members and Clients, AICD
- Modern Data Management at Scale for Higher Education – Craig Muller, Platforms Team Lead, University of Wollongong and Brendon Rogers, Public Sector Lead, NSW, Net App ANZ.
- Snowflake – The Data Warehouse Built for the Cloud – Kubra Chambers, Director Institutional Analytics and Planning, Office of Vice-Principal Strategy, Sydney University, Maria Dang, Senior Data Engineer, Institutional Analytics, Office of Vice-Principal Strategy, Sydney University and Peter O’Connor, Vice President Sales, APJ, Snowflake.
Day Two of the meeting was focused on the very important topic of Cybersecurity and some of the sessions included:
- Tertiary Sector Cyber Threat Landscape – Canberra Joint Cyber Security Centre
- Cybersecurity, Setting the Scene – How Ready Are You – Brad Davies, Vector Consulting,
- CAUDIT Strategic Initiative – Australian Higher Education Cybersecurity Service
- A Cyber Security Story – Mark Brodsky, Associate Director for Strategy & Program Delivery, ACU
- Cybersecurity Governance – Sarah Chaloner, Head of Information Communication Technology, UTS:Insearch
- AusCERT State of the Union – Mike Holm, Operations Manager, AusCERT
Many of the sessions held over the two days were closed sessions and these, along with the networking breaks, provided an opportunity for participants to engage freely and derive value from the meeting. This is one of the strengths of CAUDIT Member Meetings which are held twice each year (Autumn and Spring).
Presentations from the sessions are available to Members from the CAUDIT website (NB: staff from CAUDIT member organisations only can access this content and you will be prompted to enter your workplace user credentials when opening the files).
The next Members Meeting will be held in Hobart during April/May 2020.
Past President recognised for his contribution to CAUDIT and the sector
During the formal dinner, Past President, and ex CIO of UNSW, Michael Kirby-Lewis (Kirby) was recognised for his significant and sustained contributions to CAUDIT in a number of different capacities beginning when he joined as Member Representative for the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in July 2007. Since then he has been an active contributor on CAUDIT Committees most significantly being:
CAUDIT Executive Committee
- 2011 – 2014 Secretary
- 2014 – 2017 Public Officer
- 2014 – 2016 President
- 2016 – 2017 Past President
CAUDIT Leadership Institute
- 2013 – 2016 Faculty member
- 2017 – 2019 Director
- 2014-2016 – Benchmarking Advisory Committee member
- 2013-2015 – Lead on the AARNet Access Agreement negotiation
- Regular attendee and contributor to CAUDIT Member Meetings
Kirby resigned from the sector in 2017 however at the invitation of the CAUDIT Executive, remained in post as Director of the CAUDIT Leadership Institute to complete his term. With the conclusion of the CAUDIT Leadership 2019 program, he has completed his last engagement with CAUDIT.
Kirby has been an enthusiastic champion and supporter of CAUDIT and worked to benefit of the sector through direct engagement and support of CAUDIT Committees, staff and working groups over an extended period. We thank Kirby for his contributions.